7.14.2010

oh, snap


One of my favorite gifts that I received this past Christmas was the Fuji Instax Mini (pictured above). Call it the Polaroid of the 21st century: a cute little camera that snaps credit card-sized photos in an instant. I love it because it brings back memories of my grandfather's Polaroid that I found so baffling yet amusing as a child and--now that Polaroid film is no longer in production--it gives me the opportunity to create a compelling photo gallery like the one below that I once saw pictured in Domino magazine:



The casual arrangement of snapshots over the fireplace mantle is so simple yet clever--a candid homage to the people, places and things in one's life. It reminds me of being in high school and decorating the wall beside my bed with dozens of pictures of all my "best" friends at various gatherings (I mean, who hasn't done something similar, right?). To bring that idea out of adolescence and actually create something that is visually appealing and somewhat artistic, however, is where my Fuji Instax Mini comes into play. There's something inherently artistic in the look and feel of a "Polaroid" gallery. 

I'm thinking of decorating the half-bath of my next house (if there is a next house...and it has a half-bath) with simple Instax images taped up that will act as a kind of wallpaper showcasing the ever-evolving story of life. Here are some examples from others who've had great ideas for decorating with Polaroids:


Image on left from Cookie magazine; right image from Domino


Images from Rita Konig's design column in the New York Times T Magazine. I like the juxtaposition of informal Polaroids surrounding framed art and photographs (top picture) and the playful arrangement including handwritten notes and non-Polaroids in the kitchen (bottom picture).

Polaroid corner from apartment therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment