7.28.2010

girl at the window

Salvador Dali's Muchacha en la Ventana

Yesterday my mom asked me what colors I'd be using to decorate Scout's room--once we have a new house and Scout actually has a room--and I told her I hadn't really thought about it. But then I remembered that I have thought about it. Although I didn't think about it during my pregnancy or over the past week, years ago I fell in love with Salvador Dali's painting Muchacha en la Ventana and said that I would like to use it one day to decorate a girl's room.

I first discovered this painting at the Museo Reina Sofia in Madrid while studying abroad in Spain. Although I was never a huge fan of Dali's surrealist paintings, the serene simplicity of the subject matter drew me in and I had to have a copy to take home with me. When I got back to the states, I had the poster framed, and I still remember it cost me a whopping $114--a king's ransom to a poor college student. Of all the posters that have moved in and out of my life, from Kirk Cameron in grade school to INXS in middle and James Dean and in high school, Muchacha en la Ventana is the only one that has survived in to my adulthood (until recently, it was hanging in our living room). Although I don't believe art should "match" a room, I do think it can provide inspiration and I'm curious to see how it plays out when it's time to decorate for Scout.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny you should mention a piece of art that has survived into adulthood...I have a very special piece of work in the form of Jerry Garcia that someone very close to me took the time to draw for me, and I will never ever part with it (much to the artist's chagrin). Not sure I can decorate a room around it, but maybe the artist can help me try? Speaking of the girl at the window, I'm pretty sure that's the ghost I saw in the window of your house. Get out of there fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah...i know the work of which you speak. that freaky little hand is too much for a decorator to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the painting inspiration idea...and by the way... I could contribute an original portrait of Daniel Morgan and one of General Lee to add to your collection of inspirational pieces of "art"...
    tehehehe

    ReplyDelete