5.20.2012

(not) the best burger

Once upon a time in a city called New York I introduced Alex to the best burger he'd ever had at a little place called the Corner Bistro. This was before the Corner Bistro sold tee shirts and opened an outpost in Long Island City. It was before the city-wide smoking ban when the bistro's famed hamburger cost $4. They sold more than two beers, but if you ordered anything other than a McSorely's dark (or light) the giant (literally) behind the bar would give you a look. A look like you didn't belong--like you read about the place in some "off the beaten path" guidebook and somehow managed to find your way to the corner of Jane and West 4th and 8th Avenue.

Since declaring victory in the best burger competition--I eventually tried Alex's pick at a greasy spoon in Milwaukee (no competition!)--the issue has been laid to rest. Until a recent trip that Alex took to Southern California resurrected the dispute. It was there that he indulged in In-N-Out burger four times in three days. I was somewhat disgusted by this arguing that it can't be that good. Yes, he swore, it's that good. Little did we know that one week later while visiting Dallas we would be faced with not one, not two, but three different In-N-Out burgers from which to settle this clash. I guess it's not a West Coast thing anymore.





The burger and the verdict: it's good, but it's not that good. I'll admit when I'm wrong, but this time I'm not wrong. It is better than McDonald's and Burger King, but let's consider the competition. I wouldn't seek it out, and I definitely wouldn't eat it four times in three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment