9.26.2011

living in central time



This isn't the first time that I've lived outside of the Eastern time zone. I spent a semester in Spain and following college graduation I traveled and lived in Europe for six months; however, those moves were never permanent, and I always knew I'd come back East. My move to Texas, on the other hand, has catapulted me into the middle of the United States the Central time zone. I told Alex recently that the hardest thing about this move has not been the heat or learning of a new city or moving to a place where everyone is a stranger (or even trying to get my driver's license) but leaving the Eastern time zone.

At first my game was totally off. The kids were waking up at 5:30 every morning, and how was I supposed to remember that the evening news comes on at 5:30pm and Survivor starts at 7:00? While watching the Today Show, I felt like I was already missing out on the big news of the day. But then I started discovering the nice things about Central time. Like Saturday Night Live starts at 10:30, so I can actually make it to Weekend Update instead of nodding off during the opening monologue. And tonight I'll be able to stay awake through the entire game of Monday Night Football.

I'm sure there are other nice things, outside of television, that are nice about Central time. I'll let you know when I figure out what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment