12.02.2011

afternoon remix

It has been raining all day. I can't--in good conscience--possibly complain about the weather when we're in the middle of a severe drought, but it did make for an interesting afternoon pent up in the apartment. Halfway through Scout's nap, and a quarter way to crazy, it was time for a little furniture remix. My mother-in-law came to visit earlier this week and delivered this chair that had been in her basement, so there was no better time to give it a home.

First I placed it in the corner of our bedroom, which was my Plan A. My thought was that it would make a nice little seat for middle-of-the-night feedings when the new baby gets here.


The chair looked okay, but I wasn't wild about its placement. Having the legs half-on/half-off the rug made it look lopsided and brought out my OCD side, so I decided to try it out elsewhere. Next stop: the living room to replace the lucite chair from the reading corner.


It didn't work. The problem here was the scale--the wing chair dwarfed the corner and looked like an afterthought. After strike two I was running out of ideas. For a millisecond I toyed with plopping it in the middle of the living room (see below), and this is when Catcher got in on the action and started moving furniture around, too. The coffee table, cow and rocking chair placements are courtesy of his vision.


Of course the chair looked ridiculous and out of place with our furniture. Another drawback was the lovely sketch on the back--courtesy of a young Alex--that was clearly visible from this vantage point. So after staring at the room...and then the chair...and then the room...and then the chair again, this is where it ended up:


Sometimes you should just go with your first instinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment