1.11.2013

eight-minute sleepover


It was Catcher's idea. He invited Scout to a sleepover in the teepee he got for Christmas. During the day he uses it as a hideout for Lego construction--we all know not to bother him if the flaps are velcroed shut--but tonight he welcomed his sister inside.

After I laid down a foundation of blankets, set up the pillows, read a bedtime story, kissed the kids goodnight and poured myself a glass of wine, I heard the creak of Catcher's door and ensuing pitter-patter of little feet. "I can't go to sleep," he said. "Scout keeps talking and my mouth wants to talk back, but my brain wants to go to sleep." Sleepover: over. I had to break the news to Scout, bundled up inside the forbidden fortress, and a stream of tears followed. Surprisingly (I think she was actually really tired) the floodgates had closed by the time we reached her room. Oh well...it was fun while it lasted.



No comments:

Post a Comment