8.26.2010

pillow fight

Whenever I find a new pillow to toss around the house, my husband wants to know what is the deal with pillows (or at least what's the deal with decorative pillows, the kind not used for sleeping or allowed to be sat upon while he's working at his computer). Yes, they are expensive and I like to change them more often than I change the bed sheets, but pillows are a simple way to revamp the mood of a room and bring in an element of what's current in design. If I didn't have to pillows to satiate my desire for change, I would go after the wall color or the furniture, so I think pillows are a good compromise.


I don't own it (yet), but Jonathan Adler's seven deadly sins pillow (top) has always been one of my favorites.  It's quirky; it's sassy; it's bright and bold. I love it on a sofa in the living room. It's a great conversation piece--especially when Grandma comes over for a visit. But if you think the sins pillow is a little too risque, you could always go with PG "hugs" version (below) since cash can be just as good at initiating conversation as lust.

John Robshaw

Ikat is hot! Instead of upholstering a wingback chair in this of-the-moment fabric, invest in a great pillow that you can swap for something else when the trend is over and you're on to something new. Although I love a splash of color, this sage ikat works beautifully in neutral interiors by adding color and pattern without going over-the-top bold.

John Robshaw


Ombre is another hot trend right now. This dip-dyed pillow from John Robshaw is perfect for a bedroom  to compliment a simple white duvet.

John Robshaw

Go for bold with this pillow that is part of the "Royal Calcutta Turf Club" collection.


Thomas Paul


This really is my favorite pillow and I used to own it. Actually, I think I still do own it, but it's packed away in the attic with the 50% of our house not suitable for showings. Alex hates this pillow. He thinks it's freaky and weird hates that the feathers poke out of it and feel like sharp little needles stabbing you (I have to agree with him on the feather thing). But I love it. I love its quirkiness and the colors make it work in virtually any space. I can't wait to resurrect this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment